ankle sprain treatment
- Applying ice packs to your ankle for 20–30 minutes every 3–4 hours for the first 2–3 days, or until the pain goes away.
- Elevating your ankle by placing a pillow beneath your foot. Try to keep your ankle above the level of your heart.
- Wrapping an elastic bandage around your ankle to keep the swelling from getting worse
- Wearing a lace-up brace or ankle stirrup (An Aircast or Gelcast)
- Using crutches until you can walk without pain
- Taking anti-inflammatory medication, or other pain medication as prescribed by your physician
- Doing ankle exercises to improve your ankle strength and range of motion. These exercises will help you return to your normal activity or sports
- On rare occasions, severe ankle sprains with complete tearing of the ligaments require surgery. After surgery, your ankle will be in a cast for 4–8 weeks