What is Orthopedics? What does a Pediatric orthopedic do?
Dr. Deepak Agrawal: The word Orthopedics is derived from “Ortho” meaning crooked and “Pedia’ meaning child. So we deal with children
less than 16 years of age – Pediatric Orthopedics deal with children’s fractures, paralytic conditions, spastic kids, cerebral palsy becomes a big part of our treatment repertoire, tumors, deformities and growth related issues. So if you have crooked limbs, I can straighten them for you, short limbs, I can make them longer, we can make a limb shorter, birth defect reconstruction like a dislocated hip, an absent thumb,missing bone, so we can reconstruct it and give better functioning, better life.”
‘Pediatric’ Orthopedics is fascinating because in the first 16 years of life you are evolving with time. Once you are an adult, your structure and form are fixed: If it’s broken you fix it if it’s damaged you replace it.
What do you enjoy most about your job as a pediatric orthopedic surgeon?
I love my job. I have passion for well-being and I honestly cannot see myself doing anything else as a career.
Problems treated in Pediatric Orthopedics
Musculoskeletal problems in children are different from adults. Common problems in children includes: –
1. Trauma & Fractures
2. Congenital deformities present since birth like Clubfoot, DDH, Vertical talus etc..
3. Developmental deformities like SCFE, Perthese, Bow leg, Knock knee
4. Spine deformities like Scoliosis, Kyphosis, Pott’s spine etc
5. Bone & Joints infections (Septic arthritis, Osteomyelitis)
6. Nutritional deficiency like Rickets, Growth pain etc…
7. Gait problems like In toeing/ out toeing gait
8. Limb length discrepancy
9. Short stature & Bone dysplasia
Contact us for appointments at
Dr Deepak Agrawal
Contact – 096914 43310,