Congenital Dislocation of Knee
- During pregnancy if there is an abnormal fetal position it may cause congenital dislocation.
- In flexible cases of hyperextension the knee may be passively brought into flexion. In most cases some reduction deformity is possible but the knees cannot be brought into flexion.
- Non operative treatment should be started as soon as possible in form of serial corrective plasters at weekly intervals.
- Surgical treatment is indicated after an initial trial of stretching and casting or splinting has failed.
- Early surgery offers the best possibilities of remodelling and the best started around 6 month of age.