Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a condition related to unexplainable brain damage which renders the body’s motor and muscle functions impaired. The condition affects all the motor skills functions like bowel movements, eating, talking, and simple movements like walking. It is a very common disability diagnosed in children because of the brain or nerve damage before, during, or after birth. It can also surface between the age of 3 to 5 years for a child, or later in the age due to trauma. There are no methods to prevent cerebral palsy, currently. However, there are some steps parents can follow to decrease the potential risk of generating the condition.
Types of Cerebral Palsy – There are primarily three types of CP:
Spastic CP: Similar to spasmodic response in the body, it causes stiffness in the body and excessive difficulty in making clean movements. The condition can affect upper, lower, or both halves of the body. It is also one of the most common types of CP among kids.
Dyskinetic CP: Twisting and abrupt movements of the body, like flinching or sudden shrugs, are the main problems, kids, with this type of CP face. They do not have control over the movements of their bodies
Ataxic CP: This type of CP targets the balancing factors and depth perception of the person. It renders them incapable of moving like a normal person. They may require to extend or stretch their legs further. Impaired depth perception entails that they have a response similar to stepping inside a steep surface while walking on a regular surface. It is inevitable for them to feel these problems.
As stated, there isn’t any cure for the condition. But there are certain methods one can employ to improve the quality of the lifestyle.
Pregnancy Measures to prevent cerebral palsy
During Pregnancy, it is important to improve the lifestyle and nourishment of a healthy baby in the womb. There isn’t any medication, supplementation or procedures to have a healthy baby. It will depend on the measures you take as a parent.
- Mothers should always get vaccinated before trying to get pregnant.
- Eat healthily and to adopt a good lifestyle during pregnancy.
- Strictly follow doctors advice and visit doctor regularly
- Inform the doctor if you have any health issues.
- Quit the habits of alcohol, cigarettes, or any drugs. It will most surely affect the health of your child.
Birth Measures to prevent cerebral palsy
Here are some measures to help you:
- Get substitute staff to look after mother and child.
- Try to maintain a calm mindset during delivery. It will help child’s health. There have been cases of stress-induced CP development.
Cautions, tips, and options after delivery
Prevent an head injury incurred during the early childhood days of your baby. You must take measures, and deliberate care to prevent such occurrence.
- Parents should always make sure that their child receives all the essential vaccines. It is the most basic and common way to save your child from any health issues.
- If you’re taking your child out make sure your child is properly protected against any mishap.
- Make you home baby proof so that the baby can not hurt.
- Try to eliminate any habit of doing excessive shaking or rocking of the baby. CP may induce in doing so.
- Take extra care while bathing the baby in a pool or bathtub. Protect the head and prevent slipperage.